Today’s episode is a deschooling conversation with the amazing Domari Dickinson. Domari chats with Akilah about how she became more aware of what it took for her to begin, moving away from a controlling approach and towards more positive and purposeful parenting.
WHAT WE DISCUSS
Domari speaks from her own experience as a Black woman on how the resources and theory about homeschooling lacked diversity. She didn’t see herself or her family represented, in homeschooling communities online and in books and podcasts. Domari homeschooled her children for two years before sending them to public school. Her children immediately had conflicts because of the way that their teachers were managing their learning processes, so they asked to go back to homeschooling.
Domari and Akilah also talk about what positive parenting means and how moving from a schoolish setting to a more partner centered way of being allows trust to happen, supporting practices can create an environment where children can feel safe reaching out to their parents.
Deschooling work for adults: Remember that Intuition Work from the Ours First Series, offered by Kelly Limes-Taylor, is now open for registration. Classes begin the week of September 13th and ends the week of October 11th!
From October 2nd to October 4th the National Youth Rights Association (NYRA) is hosting their Virtual Conference, Age of Youth! It’s happening from the evening of Friday, October 2nd to the evening of Sunday, October 4th. Register at ageofyouth.eventbrite.com.
We are so excited to announce our second Presence Counselor Anthony Galloway, Jr. He focuses on unschooling and deschooling for families and organizations, as well as people looking to create or grow a Self-Directed Education school or center.
- For our stress management is vital to sleep well and rest, shout out to Kim and Jamal Hester from Life Strength & Health holistic center for recommending Akilah Avocado Green Mattress, 100% organic latex, wool and cotton. You as a Fare Of The Free Child listener get a special discount of $215 dollars OFF when you use the code ‘fareofthefreechild’
- Book a free consultation with Domari here
- Follow Domari on Instagram and Facebook for more healing resources
- Want to be part of the Parent Collective to start making the shift? Click here
- Support the show at patreon.com/akilah
- Organizations like Metro Atlanta Mutual Aid Fund are organizing collective help for Atlanta’s BIPOC families affected by COVID-19 – Please donate
- Subscribe to Akilah’s Youtube Channel
- Join our Facebook group